Over there at TechCrunch, people discuss whether Twitter is a news source. I think it’s easier than you might think it is.
- Twitter is a close-to-real time reporting medium.
- You usually do not follow the guy at the place where “it” happens.
- You probably do follow a guy that follows a guy that follows a guy… at the place “it” happens.
- The last guy in the chain will cover “it”. Others will read and spread the word.
- When Twitterers are not referring to the original source, Twitter is not a news source. It’s just a news channel.
- If you are interested in making Twitter a crowd source medium, refer to your sources by linking the exact status or at least the original users.
It won’t hurt. I’m sure.
5 responses so far